Monday, February 20, 2012 By: Nerdular

Almost time!

Planting time is quickly approaching! Or maybe my big tomato transplants are just making me antsy. :) Seriously, though, they look awesome.  I am proud!

On one of the charts I've looked at (Doug Welsh's Texas Garden Almanac), they list Austin's average last spring frost date as 2/24! That's in four days! That on top of the next week's weather report is really making me itch to plant more this weekend. I may sacrifice one of these big tomatoes... or two. Perhaps a couple of my new pepper transplants.  I am fine with taking risks. I experiment with things so that I can learn.  For instance, I learned that the plants who have mostly lived in the outdoor greenhouse for the past couple weeks have not done nearly as well as the one's still sitting indoors in windowsills.  Some of those outside have fared better than others. Notes are jotted down in my paper journal. Lessons are being learned.  Sometimes I feel like I am back in elementary school science class. :)

Speaking of which, I was finally able to make up and finish up my Citizen Gardener instruction on Saturday.  It was raining and the place where it was held (an elementary school) was flooded in the (huge, impressive) garden area. We had to sit in the gym for instruction, but I didn't mind! It gave me the opportunity to write moe down.  I learned a lot and also scored an old olive barrel for rain collection, cheap! Now to get it set up and going.

My favorite "tip" learned from class on Saturday was that you can use Christmas bulbs to scare birds off your plants! They hate shiny things.

On Sunday I built my 6'x3' bed out back and vowed to either have someone else build these, or buy them preassembled from now on!  I tossed what was going of my compost pile (lots of decomposed leaves) in and watered it really well. I will fill it the rest of the way and plant soon.  Just one thing on my long list of to-dos. Can't wait until my toddler is old enough to help!

0 comments:

Post a Comment